Saturday, November 29, 2014

Math Mountain Practice Mats


My Firsties have been working hard to show ways to construct and deconstruct numbers to 10. Our math program, Houghton Mifflin Math Expressions, uses Math Mountains to demonstrate building numbers. Using these engaging practice mats the children were able to work in partners to practice and show their understanding. I had the children use blocks to build a number on the mat and then record their findings on math facts recording sheet. I enjoyed hearing the children explain their thinking and prove their answer to their partners. I had to pull them away from the activity for recess! :) I will definitely be using these mats again to re-enforce their new mathematical understanding during our small group time.  Get your own set of Math Mountain Practice Mats here! 



No comments:

Post a Comment